The HTTP code 404 says that the requested page is not found. This error is out of control of website owners, because it is not possible to prevent wrong links. By default WordPress shows a 404 page that does not provide any information on what to find on your site. The visitor its left in a dead end. Most visitors will close a website as soon as they encounter a not helpful 404 error page.
The free WordPress Plugin 404page ist the most used plugin to create a custom 404 error page that save users from being locked in a stalemate which reduces the bounce rate of your site.
Using this plugin you can create your 404 error page as a normal WordPress page. You can create it in a way that helps visitors and avoids that they go away. Just create the page like any other and select that page as your 404 page. That’s it!
- bbPress forum plugin
- BuddyPress community plugin
- Polylang multilingual website plugin
- WooCommerce eCommerce plugin
- WPML multilingual website plugin
- SiteOrigin Page Builder page creation plugin
- and many more
- The 404page plugin works with every theme that uses the WordPress template engine
- For themes that use their own template engine there is a Compatibility Mode which should work with almost every theme